Thursday, October 6, 2011

jak se řekne "campaign finance reform" v českém jazyce?

Holy MOLY, if I take only one lesson from studying abroad it will be that if you are going to blog DO NOT PUT IT OFF FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Well, actually, may I retract that statement? I would really like my one lesson to not be one about blogging. That would be horrendously depressing.

SO. Here we are. It's officially been over a month since I cried in the Portland airport (and then the Toronto airport. And possibly also the Dusseldorf airport. But that one wasn't my fault. Blame the meanest German lady on earth) and left the US. I honestly don't want to spend too much time dwelling on the ridiculously rude ways in which the passage of time works. I do have to say, though, that I don't think I've ever had such a massively huge psychological roller coaster in the span of one month before. I am so grateful for where I am and amazed with SIT, but sometimes the distance hits me, or the fact that there is no possibility of seeing a familiar face (no matter how great the people on my program are, they are still very, very new in my life) for a very long time.

I would like to do justice to all of things that have been going on without boring anyone reading this to tears, so I will do my best.

(I feel that most entries on this blog consist of A) me proclaiming a goal of being as synoptic as possible, B) me rambling, and C) me apologizing for said rambling. Ah, well.)

Let's go back two weeks ago today, at which point I was packing for my "regional stay". Based on my many, many friends participating in other SIT programs, it seems that most of them choose to send their students out into strange corners of the country with 2 other people around the same time. This time also happens to be around the same time this chart tells you you will begin to hate everything:

See Number 3? That's when SIT thinks it's a good idea to throw us out of the nest and into farms. Also, I would like to invite everyone to compare the locations of Number 1 and Number 9. WHAT? "This chart is to demonstrate, in a scientific manner, that your happiness will significantly decrease due to studying abroad." Thanks, y'all.


All I knew is that myself, Claire, and Joe were getting on a train to Polička to stay with a woodworker and his semi-famous artist wife on their farm. We were also warned that our sleeping arrangements might necessitate caution. Great? I was picturing something along the lines of this:
Quaint, no?

 So, when I rolled up and saw that in actuality my life was now taking place HERE...


WHAT??! WHAT??! WHAT??!!!

...I may have freaked out a little bit. If Ivan and Veronika, our hosts, were not already familiar with such English terms as "MOLLY WEASLEY!" "FAIRY TALE!" "PRINCESS!" "FAIRY PRINCESS!" or "GINNY WEASLEY!" they can now thank me for expanding their vocabularies.

Before I go on, here are some photos. I just want to make sure that it is abundantly clear JUST HOW JEALOUS everyone should be.

This is just where I slept every night. You know. Like any fairy princess in a mideival tale.

Everything you're looking at? Ivan made. I kid you not. 

Doing what I do with my Argentinian friend Fernando on top of some ancient castle tower. You know, a normal hangout spot.
Joseph and me enjoying our Pilsner in the street outside the pub while we cheer on marathon runners. Because this country is cooler than the US.


I really do want to wrap this up before three hours from now, but I also do not want to undermine what incredible people I had to opportunity to live with for a few days. I have never met such open, kind, unique humans in my life. Both of them are just these immensely talented, immensely modest people. I guess this can be succinct because I don't even know that I can do it justice. It was four days of campfires, singing, drawing, walking, learning, listening, thinking, seeing...fuck. It was definitely difficult at times, but what meaningful experience isn't, right? Also, I fell in love. I am trying to figure out how to admit to my parents that I won't be returning to the states, because of my very special man in Polička. Meet...Yeřišek.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS??! Most difficult farewell I've ever gone through with anything. He was essentially in that position for four straight days.
Ivan, myself, Claire, Joe, and Fernando (and Guru, the dog) outside of the house the morning we left.

 After the regional stay, our entire group met back up in the South, in a town called Česky Krúmlov, also known as Walt Disney's inspiration for Disneyland. So, imagine if Disneyland was made out of 1000 year old stones instead of...whatever Disneyland is made out of. I basically spent the entire time walking around with my mouth open. Take two of Naomi's life allowing her to pretend she's a princess in a cartoon. Also, they sell pink cigarettes. This is why European smoke more than Americans. I would most certainly be a smoker if I could easily purchase pink cigarettes with vanilla flavored tobacco in them. Just saying. And yes, I do realize that I am currently dreaming of cigarettes that are illegal in the US because they are marketed for children. I'm fine with it.
Imagine this, but an entire city, and that is Česky Krúmlov. Don't you feel like Cinderella (post ball fiasco, obviously) just looking at it?


Now I am back in the homestead, until next Thursday, at which point I leave for Poland and Slovakia for a week. It feels very go-go-go, which is good, but I wish I had more time to spend with my host family. They are just so lovely. My host mom does things like sneak chocolate into my lunchbox. Last night, my host dad had some friends from work over for dinner. It was really nice - probably the nicest time I've had with them since getting here - but let me just say this. Pre-dinner beers. Then dinner, which consisted of: a goose. dumplings. cabbage salad. potato salad. and more beer. Then post-dinner wine. Then post-wine cake. Then more wine. Then post-wine crackers. Then post-cracker wine. Then post-wine cheese. Then post-cheese wine. Then post-wine wine. WHAT? It really was nice, though. They asked me questions about American education and Obama (you know, easy topics) and didn't mind my answers, I don't think. They also spent a good twenty minutes making fun of how large American coffee drinks are, and I almost had to tell them to stop because they were making me crave grande non-fat iced vanilla lattes (IM SORRY IM A BAD PERSON I MISS STARBUCKS SO MUCH). 

Guess what? I miss the United States. And I am fine with that. I do not think that this makes me a consumerist whore for capitalism that buys into the system. I just think it makes me someone who likes standing up while she showers (for more than 3 minutes, by the way) and refrigerating milk. And iced coffee. And bagels. And sheets on beds. And driving. Also, the USA is an awesome place to live for a lot of people. Not everyone, I know. One of the funniest things about studying abroad is how much Americans my age feel the need to apologize for being American (myself included). I'm trying to shut down that urge, because, A of all I did not choose to be conceived into an American womb, and B of all AMERICANS ARE IN GENERAL REALLY LUCKY TO BE AMERICANS SO WE SHOULD SHUT UP ABOUT HOW STUPID AMERICA IS BECAUSE TO OTHER PEOPLE IT MAKES US SEEM WEIRD AND UNGRATEFUL. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TAKING ISSUE WITH SOME POLICIES AND CUSTOMS AND HATING THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. Seriously.

In closing, an interesting fact. Today, my Czech teacher informed us that THEY DON'T SAY "I LOVE YOU" HERE. She told us, "my husband and I have been married thirty years and I don't think we ever have said this." To which I responded, "BUT THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW?!! DONT YOU GET INSECURE??!", which she found hilarious but I most certainly was not joking. We asked what they said instead. "Nothing. I remind him to wear a scarf if it is cold." WHAT??! Some people in my class found that ADORABLE, but I do not. I find it UNACCEPTABLE. Yeah, yeah, cultural differences, learning, blah blah, I'M SORRY BUT YOU HAVE TO ARTICULATE YOUR FEELINGS! She went on to tell us that "Czechs are just not very comfortable with talking about the emotions." So, let's be honest, no matter how much I love Yeřišek, I will not be able to make any kind of long-term commitments to this country. I enjoy few activities more than talking about my feelings. So, remind me to never marry a Czech man.

Unless it's this Czech man. Meet Vaclav. I swear I'm not tracking down every cat in Prague. They are just super abundant. Because you know what Czech people think is weird? Neutering/spaying creatures. So if anyone is in the market for a new pet, I could bring you fifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment