Sunday, November 20, 2011

kuřecí feny

So. Turns out independent study is AMAZING. This is possibly coming from a girl who has yet to do any real work on hers yet, but let me tell you, after a ridiculously academically rigorous semester, a week of playing in Praha and playing with homestay siblings has been AMAZING.
Tomorrow evening, I am leaving to stay with my mask-maker-mentor. I have literally no idea what to expect/pack, so that should be interesting. Luckily, I am totally laid back and love not knowing what the plan is...NOT AT ALL. 

Last night, some of us went to one night of this alternative music festival called Alternativa. The music scene in Prague is pretty cool, because even bigger-name bands tend to be really friendly and interactive with their fans, in a way that definitely isn't true with big indie bands in the US. My friend Jenna's host sister's band was playing - I forget their name...something that translates to both five bitches and five chickens? or something? Whatever I just said is definitely made up - and they were SO GOOD. I wish I could see as much music when I get home as I have been here, but SIT probably isn't going to keep buying me concert tickets when the shows I want to see start being in LA.

Fun fact: when it's below freezing, and you have a lip ring, HALF OF YOUR FACE FREEZES. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT A JOKE. Anytime I am outside for more than five minutes, there is a one-inch radius around my lip ring that is just FREEZING. It is endlessly fascinating, and also causes the Czech people waiting for my train with me to disassociate themselves even further from the very-clearly American girl in the purple headphones (in what way am I clearly American, you ask? I literally have no idea, but I am. We all are. They just know. I mean, sometimes it's because we are rolling thirteen deep, speaking incredibly loud English, and carrying Czech textbooks, but other times I just think people who live in Prague can smell a statesider from a mile away. We must radiate a desire for sandwiches without 3 gallons of mayonnaise and a coffee cup that holds more than 3 ounces) because I look like this:





this is not an exaggeration.
Anyways, not much else to say. Clearly, since this blog post is 99% photobooth pictures of me biting my own face. I'll be somewhere in the woods art-making until Wednesday night, and then hanging out with Americans all day Thursday, AKA Thanksgiving. Oh, funny story about that: my friend Lee and I decided we would like to head up cooking. Turns out this is a 30 person ordeal. Apparently every American in Central Europe spends Thanksgiving at my Academic Director's house. I'm fine with it, because this is my first Thanksgiving not with my parents and I would like to be as busy as possible. If I can be having an emotional breakdown because I set a turkey on fire, as opposed to because I'm approximately 83,000 miles from home (geographically factual), then I will consider the day a success.

až díkůvzdání!

No comments:

Post a Comment